Friday, October 7, 2011

THANKSforGIVINGme PUMPKIN SCONES

Pumpkin Scones

Oh Canada celebrates Thanksgiving this weekend and, as per annual Thanksgiving protocol, I am reminded of the many blessings in my life. I have a loving, patient husband, two adorably loveable little girls (though I find my thankfulness barometer goes up when they're in bed sleeping - they're under 5, you get me), my health, safety, shelter, mobility...I have it pretty good. I am indeed full of thanks.

It is tradition in our family to share a meal during this harvest holiday with friends and/or family. We are not gluttons, but I'm not going to lie - stretchy pants are encouraged. This year we are hosting, but the men (who happen to know their way around a kitchen) will do most of the cooking...I did say I have it pretty good.

And what is Thanksgiving without something pumpkin-ish? Since I'm still a pie crust dummy, I think my contribution will be either pumpkin scones or pumpkin whoopie pies. Maybe both!

If you're going to feast with friends or family this year what will you bring to the table?

Here is my scrumptious pumpkin scone recipe if you're looking for something different to add to the feast...or maybe to have with tea while preparing the night before (or day of, if you're like me!).

Here's what to do:
Preheat your oven to about 360 degrees F. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

whisk together:
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup cake/pastry flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder (fresh, opened within the last month)
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves


In a measuring cup whisk together:
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use whole fat yogurt)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh... not pumpkin pie filling)
1 egg room temp (for room temp: place egg in small bowl and cover with hot water, let stand for 2 minutes)
1/2 tsp vanilla



Take dry ingredients and cut in one stick (1/2 cup) of cold unsalted butter (either by food processor, or pastry cutter or by hand...it's best to touch it as little as possible so the butter remains cold).
 The texture should be sandy and mealy.

Pour wet mix on top and stir in with fork.


Don't over work it, just until all the wet is mixed in...should have some crumbly bits left at the bottom of the bowl. If you find it's still too dry, add a little more yogurt or heavy cream to help.

Dump out mix onto a lightly floured surface. gently work in any crumbly bits. Form dough into an 7-8" disc and cut into 8 pie-like portions.


Place on parchment on cookie sheet.
Bake for 20-ish minutes. Should be golden around edges and a little golden on top.
 While cooling, melt 1/2 cup white couverture chocolate (I use Belgian white from the Bulk Barn) in a double broiler:
  • bring about 2-3 inches of water in a saucepan to a simmer not a boil
  • place a bowl on top - not in - the saucepan 
  • place the chocolate in the bowl and stir while melting until almost melted 
  • remove bowl and continue to stir until all the chocolate has completely melted
Pour chocolate into a piping bag (I just use a Ziploc and cut the very tip of one corner) and zigzag the chocolate over the scones. Or however you want to do it...there's no right way! The white chocolate does add the "scrumptious" factor though.
ENJOY!

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Kristen! I made these scones for breakfast this morning and they were a huge hit! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! So glad! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

    ReplyDelete