Friday, July 15, 2011

That's what this little girl is made of...

For most of my life I think my body was composed of 49% water and 51% sugar. Cupcakes, layer cakes, cookies, scones (with clotted cream, of course), puff pasty and if I could successfully make a pie crust I'm sure pies would have fared well in my hands...most any baked good would do...and fill in the gaps with candy.

Alas, almost 4 decades and two babies later, my body has had enough of the sweeties...at least, it is forcing me to very conscientious about the amount of sugary goodness I consume.

Bummer? Yes, at first. But don't we appreciate even more the things we can't always have? Don't we savor every morsel when we only get a taste? The less sugar I'm allowed to consume the more I want to bake. I am at a strange crossroads...Candyland on one side vegetable patch on the other. I think I've found a way to forge my own path right down the middle.

I love baking. It's is a thrill, a rush to create something that will bring delight to someone else. One way to express creativity through flavor combination and presentation. If I can't partake in the delight part very often, why not sell my baked goods so others can? I mean for real. Not just a few scones and vegan bars once a week...what if I really went for it? What could this look like? What could this turn in to? Am I brave enough? Would it kill my love of baking?

I guess the only way to know the answers to these questions is trying.
Path forging commences.

3 comments:

  1. Good Lord, I wish I lived down the street! Hahaha. Good luck, Kristen! I think it's a GREAT idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And u didnt know u baked when we were roomies why?! ;) u r inspired my friend!

    ReplyDelete