Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Planet Vegan

Apricot and Ginger Vegan Fruit and Nut Bars


packaged for the Bistro

I love butter, eggs and heavy cream...and bacon. It's quite likely I will never be vegan. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy vegan treats. I'm wondering though, do vegans get mad when non-vegans eat up vegan goodies? Is that like wearing Doc Martins without knowing who Joe Strummer is? Does it make me a poser?

Well even I like to take brief departures from my cakes, scones and pastries if the goody at hand is worth it. And these are pretty darn good. Sorry vegans. This poser is feeling a bit peckish.

I first found these vegan fruit and nut bars in Martha Stewart's HOLIDAY magazine (2010). I've altered it a little so I think it might be ok to publish my version of the recipe here. If it disappears in a day or two, you'll know why!

APRICOT GINGER VEGAN FRUIT AND NUT BARS
1 cup dates
1 cup water
1.5 cup whole oats (for gluten free use oats that are certified gluten free to avoid cross contamination)
3/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup sliced almond or chopped toasted almonds
3/4 cup chopped apricots (you can use any dried fruit up to 1 cup)
1/4 cup candied ginger
4 tbs ground flax seed
3 tbs wheat germ (for gluten free use quinoa flakes)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbs brown rice syrup

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Bring dates and water to a simmer then cool. Puree with hand blender or small food processor. Add brown rice syrup and combine.
  3. Combine in a seperate bowl the rest of the indredients.
  4. Add date and syrup puree to rest of the ingredients and mix with a spoon until it's well mixed.
  5. Scoop into 9x9 (brownie) pan, lined with parchment and spread and pack in using the back of the spoon.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes. It should be golden brown around the edges and firm-ish in the middle.
  7. Let cool on a rack before cutting and serving.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy... I think I burn calories just looking at your pictures! I am not vegan but I am vegetarian and I love it when carnivores eat veggie food - if more gets eaten, more will be made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for your posts! Yolanda, wouldn't it be great if we really could burn calories looking at pictures? And Jaana, if you're on the candida diet you can substitute quinoa flakes instead of oats to make it gluten free. (I think I'll be on that diet forever. ugh) Wish you were here to share a table again. Just not the same without you.

    ReplyDelete